Mr Hawazi Daipi
Senior Parliamentary Secretary
Ministry of Education & Ministry of Manpower
Ms Chia Yong Yong
President of SPD
Parents & Students
1. A very good morning. It gives me great pleasure to be with you today.
2. NatSteel is honoured to partner the SPD once again for the NatSteel-SPD Education Programme Bursary Award. This is the 7th year running we are giving out the award. It is our privilege to partner SPD in making a strong and sustained contribution to the community.
3. One of the key beliefs that have driven the way Tata companies operate for over 140 years is that “The community is not just another stakeholder in business, but is in fact the very purpose of its existence.”
4. This statement continues to be the corporate philosophy for NatSteel today. We have been privileged to have been able to play a part in Singapore’s nation building for the past 50 years. While some may be unfamiliar with what we do, the buildings that our products go into would be familiar to all, from the HDB estates that dot our landscape and the MRT lines that run through our neighbourhoods to the latest icons such as the integrated resorts. Just to share an interesting fact, about one in two buildings in Singapore are made from our steel! What we are doing in Singapore is to make steel in the most productive, energy-saving and environmentally friendly way through recycling scrap, and we hope to be a showcase that Singapore can be proud of.
5. Going beyond business, we also endeavour to strengthen the social fabric through promoting community action. Our relationship with SPD is one such example, and it has grown from strength to strength over the years. We are deeply appreciative to SPD for giving us the opportunity for our NatSteel colleagues to volunteer with you on a regular basis. This partnership has enabled us to promote a culture of volunteerism and selfless giving, as well as cohesiveness and teamwork within NatSteel.
6. We are happy to support families with the NatSteel-SPD Education Programme Bursary Award. Education is the way forward to building the foundations for our youth, and we are glad to be able to contribute. Since 2009, NatSteel has sponsored over 700 bursary awards amounting to over $550,000. The award is an important pillar in SPD’s education programme. By alleviating the financial burdens of needy families and their children, the programme enables students to focus on achieving academic excellence as they pursue their education in mainstream schools.
7. NatSteel is also proud to sponsor the SPD Youth Aspiration Awards, which recognises youths for their non-academic achievements and drive to realise their ambitions. This year, we have a budding athlete, a talented graphics designer, and an aspiring performer. Their stories and accomplishments is testament to how each of us can take action towards fulfilling their dreams.
8. To close, let me end with a quote from the Tata group’s founder, Mr Jamsetji Tata, who said that “What advances a nation or a community is to lift up the best and the most gifted, so as to make them of the greatest service to the country.”
9. To all our award recipients today, you are these bright minds, and I wish you all the best as you continue to pursue excellence. To all the parents, congratulations and I am sure you are very proud.
10. Thank you.